What is a cookie?
A cookie is a harmless text file that is stored in your browser when you visit almost any webpage. With these cookies the website is able to remember your visit when you navigate again that page. Although many people do not know that cookies have been being used for 20 years, when the first web browsers for the World Wide Web appeared.
What is not a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan, malware, spam or spyware, or open pop-up windows.
What information does a cookie store?
Cookies do not usually store sensitive information about you, such as credit cards or bank details, photographs, your ID or personal information, etc. They store technical data, personal preferences, personalization of content, etc.
The web server does not associate you as a person, but to your web browser. In fact, if you usually browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the web with Firefox or Chrome, you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person, because it is actually associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies are there?
- Technical cookies: they are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing, when an anonymous and a registered user navigates, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
- Cookies of analysis: collect information about the type of navigation that is doing, the sections most used, products consulted, time of use, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies: show advertising depending on your navigation, their origin country, language, etc.
What are the own cookies and third-party cookies?
Own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the third parties are those generated by services or third party providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
For you to understand the extent of deactivating cookies, here are a few examples:
- You cannot share content of this site on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- Website cannot adapt the content to your personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You cannot access the personal area of this website, such as for example my account, or my profile, or my orders.
- Online shops: it will be impossible to make purchases online, by telephone or in the physical store.
- It is not possible to customize geographic strip time, currency or language preferences.
- The website cannot make web analytics about visitors and traffic on the web, making it difficult to be competitive.
- You cannot write on the blog, or upload photos, post comments or rate content.
- The web will not know if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- Zoned advertising will not be displayed, which will reduce the advertising revenue from the website.
Can I delete cookies?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, in general or specific way for a specific domain.
To remove cookies from a site you must go to your browser settings and there you can find those associated to the domain.
Configuration of cookies for most populars browsers
Below we indicate how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: these steps may vary depending on the version of the browser:
- Go to settings or preferences by using the file menu either by clicking the icon customization listed above to the right.
- You will see the different sections, click on Show advanced options.
- Go to the Privacy, Content settings.
- Select all the cookies and the data sites.
- A list with all the cookies will be displayed. To make it easier to find a particular domain, enter partially or completely the direction in the field Search for cookies.
- After making this filter, one or several lines with the requested web cookies will be displayed. Now you just have to select it and press X to proceed to their elimination.
To access the cookies configuration of Internet Explorer browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options.
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookies configuration of Firefox browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences according to your operating system.
- Haga click en Privacidad.
- In History choose use custom to record configuration.
- Now you will see the option Accept cookies, you can enable or disable it according to your preferences.
To access the cookies configuration for OSX Safari browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to set the type of block that you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration for iOS Safari browser, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see the option Block cookies to set the type of block that you want to perform.
To access the cookies configuration for Android devices, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the option Accept cookies so that you select or clear the check box.
To access the cookies configuration for Windows Phone devices, follow these steps (may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings.
- Now you can enable or disable the Allow cookies check box.